DESIGN MUSEUM ACADEMY Children's workshop
Design Camp: Skateboard Deck Making for 8 to 11 year olds
On this one-day course, SkatetotheMAX will demonstrate and explain the board-building process, followed by a hands-on experience of preparing and pressing two skateboards in smaller groups.
In the afternoon, participants will decorate a skateboard deck to take home.
• How to vacuum press Canadian Maple veneers to form a skateboard
• How to shape a skateboard using hand tools
• Decorative skills, spray painting, drawing and air brushing
• Safety awareness when skateboarding
• This workshop includes same-day entrance to our Skateboard exhibition
SKATEtotheMAX is a Community Interest Company that raises awareness of skateboarding safety. Tracey Swan has spent many younger years on boards and learnt first-hand the importance of skateboard safety. Her work with young people is fun and creative, teaching them new skills whilst talking about wearing head protection and PPE whilst skateboarding. STTM also continues to research and develop alternative headgear in partnership with Plymouth University.
Child (Early bird): £67
*Please note that this benefit only applies to the cardholding Member’s children and not those of additional guests.
Early bird tickets are available until Saturday 6 March.
Capacity is limited, please book in advance to avoid disappointment.
– All equipment, materials and light refreshments will be provided, but participants will need to bring a packed lunch
– Please let us know of any access needs, including neurodiversity, when booking a place for your child. If your child receives additional support in their formal education setting, you are welcome to bring a carer/additional adult at no cost, but we are unable to provide 1:1 support
Check out the Design Museum Academy Cancellation Policy here.
Images by SkatetotheMAX.