The Design Museum’s six different event spaces form one of London’s most iconic contemporary events venues. Each event space is housed under the incredible hyperbolic paraboloid roof, an original feature from this landmark building’s former use as the Commonwealth Institute. The Grade II* listed structure is the only public building designed by John Pawson and provides an engaging and exciting setting for your guests.
The Design Museum features six beautiful spaces for hire: the Helene and Johannes Huth Gallery, the atrium, the Bakala Auditorium, the Chumsri and Luqman Lounge, the Ulm and Bauhaus Room and the Dessau.
The atrium is the Design Museum’s showcase evening event space, providing a dramatic, triple height space with stunning views of the iconic roof and surrounding architecture. Ideal for evening drinks receptions, awards ceremonies and dinners, the atrium can also be hired for morning breakfast events and tours before public opening hours.
The atrium features:
• 314sqm of space on the ground floor, plus extra capacity on the mezzanine and first floor balcony
• capacity for up to 150 guests seated for dinner
• capacity for up to 270 standing on the ground floor or 800 including the above levels
• availability to combine with the Bakala Auditorium for awards ceremonies and conferences
• availability to include a private view of one of the Design Museum’s acclaimed exhibitions
The Helene and Johannes Huth Gallery is located on the second floor of the Design Museum with floor to ceiling windows offering natural daylight and views of Holland Park. This versatile event space is available for both day and evening hire and offers a flexible blank canvas to create a bespoke setting for product launches, conferences, drinks receptions and awards dinners.
The Helene and Johannes Huth Gallery features:
• 319sqm of space, with a retractable wall system which allows the room to be divided into smaller sections for both larger and more intimate events
• capacity for up to 200 guests seated or 220 standing
• The Helene and Johannes Huth Gallery is located directly adjacent to the Design Museum’s permanent exhibition, Designer Maker User
The Bakala Auditorium is a 202-seat theatre style space with in-built AV facilities. This sleek and contemporary space is suitable for conferences, panel discussions, film screenings, lectures and award ceremonies.
The Bakala Auditorium features:
• 460sqm of space with fixed tiered seating
• fixed technical control position for HD projector with wireless presentation options
• 4.7m x 2.65m (16:9) screen
• surround sound PA system
• includes 1 x AV technician
• availability to combine with the atrium for an evening drinks receptions
• availability to combine with the Helene and Johannes Huth Gallery for a daytime breakout space
The Ulm & Bauhaus Room is part of the Design Museum’s Swarovski Centre for Learning, located on the first floor of the Museum. With natural daylight and views of Holland Park this space is available for daytime hire only and perfect for workshops, meetings and training days.
The Ulm & Bauhaus Room features:
• a retractable wall system which allows for the room to be divided into two smaller spaces
• a Clevertouch screen for PowerPoint presentations and to use as an interactive white board
• Vitra furniture for a theatre style, cabaret or boardroom style layout
• Capacity for up to 40 guests theatre style or 30 cabaret style
Designed by Universal Design Studio, the Chumsri & Luqman Lounge offers some of the best views in the Museum. This long and impressive room is available for daytime drinks receptions and product launches and seated lunches for up to 45 guests standing or 34 seated on one long table.
The Chumsri & Luqman Lounge features:
• a unique collection of Philip Sayer photographs featuring 30 legendary designers
• a fixed polished pewter bar
• Barber Osgerby designed furniture
The Dessau is a private meeting room located in the Sackler Library and Archive on the first floor of the Museum. Glass sided, overlooking the rest of the Library, this light, bright space is available to hire for meetings.
The Dessau features:
• A Clevertouch screen for PowerPoint presentations and to use as an interactive white board can be provided upon request.
• Capacity for up to 14 guests boardroom style.
Get in touch
For more information on hiring a space at the museum, contact the Events Team on 020 3862 5907 or complete the online contact form below.
Background image ‘Hélène Binet