Startup Essentials: Business Basics
How do you turn a creative idea into a successful business? Whether it’s setting up a design studio, digital agency, photography business or running a gallery, knowing the basics of business is an essential part of creating a new venture.
Produced by Creative Entrepreneurs, this three-part evening course will provide you with the essential skills to start your creative business journey. Through seminar discussions led by industry experts, and hands-on activities, participants will cover topics including the art of networking, legal and finance basics.
Whether you have already started a creative business, have an idea for a new one or just want to learn more, we welcome you to join this course.
See the full programme below.
Session One: Networking Basics
• Overview – the power of connection: how things happen today
• Preparation – defining goals, research, preparing marketing materials
• Networking in action – lay of the land, strategies and techniques
• Harnessing reciprocity and trust – cultivating long term relationships
Session Two: Legal Basics
• What are the common characteristics if creative industry businesses?
• Company basics – key considerations when setting up, organization and share structures
• People basics – employees, freelancers and consultants, how to incentivize and retain key individuals
• IP basics – IP overview, understanding what you own and how to exploit and protect it
Session Three: Finance Basics
• Accounting basics – information tracking, bookkeeping and financial planning
• Tax basics – corporate tax overview, HMRC, VAT, SEIS
• Fundraising basics – business plan and pitch deck, friends and family, angel investment, startup loans (crowdfunding to be mentioned but not covered in detail)
join the full programme
session 1 speaker
Carolyn founded Creative Entrepreneurs in 2016. Previously, she spent 20-years working in London’s creative sector, where she was MD of Time Warner International, London. She has been named by WIRED Magazine as one of the Top 10 women 'Digital Power Brokers’ and by BIMA as one of the Top 10 Entrepreneurs shaping the future of Britain’s digital industry.
'The types of speakers that you bring in are really top notch, and ones that you wouldn’t necessarily see at any other entrepreneurship event.'
'One of the most inspiring and useful events I’ve attended. I immediately started working on my business card and improving my website.'
Creative Entrepreneurs empowers creative people to turn their ideas into successful businesses, bringing them the resources, inspiration and networks they need. They deliver this through events, courses, their website, newsletters and videos.